From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?T_O_S?= <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, Aug 29, 2006 8:36 am
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] A huge step forward for mountain biking in VT ...

JD, how about some carrige returns?  These one line posts are hard to read.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:16:12 -0700, James Dugan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This avowed motorcycle fanatic feels the only good place to hear the two
strokers is on a genuine motocross course.  They are really only made for
high RPM  ripping and tearing.  I learned on a two stroke road bike back
when they still made them.  It was useless unless kept above 4 grand and
pretty much wide open all the time.  To this day it was the fastest bike I
have ever ridden and only a 350 cc.  I'm sure there are much faster ones
today,  I just haven't ridden one.    Jimski

2 strokes definitely have rpm range where they are very powerful :
"powerband".  They are going away though.  Even in motocross, 4 cycles are
making a name for themselves.  I think chainsaws and weed whackers will be the last to change to 4 cycles.

There will always be a place in my heart for the 2stroke.  On a dirt bike when you hit the powerband, they come alive.  I also had two roadbikes that were 2 strokes: Yamaha RD250 and a Kawasaki KH400.  The RD250 was a fun bike to ride, it handled really well.  It was very light.  In corners I could throw it around.  It required being kept wide open.

Jim did you learn on the RD350?  That was a classic!  I remember the ads. They would show a guy sitting in a bar looking bummed.  The ad went
something like this "your 750 just got beaten by a 350".

The KH400 was a terrible handling bike.  It
was extremely fast off the line.   There weren't too many vehicles that could touch it in a drag.   I will always remember the frat boy in his TransAm.  Cocky dratsab, with a few sorority girls,  openly laughing at my dirty all black bike. . .

I have fond memories of every bike I have ever owned.
Some for being fast, other for things I did on them.  Even my Honda
CL90 still makes me smile.