On 8/29/06, Chris Niggel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I've found that with respectful hikers & bikers, most trails can be shared.
> I'd have expected to hear some words from our SLC contingent, as much of the
> BLM land seemed to be open to everyone, for pretty much anything, where you
> have horses, people, and hikers all looking to use the same space, albiet a
> whole lot more of space.  I miss that about being back east, where our
> riding is restricted to relatively small areas.
>
> When I lived in SLC, the trails in Big Cottonwood had contention between
> hikers & bikers, so they're now only open for riding on odd days (Sept
> 1,3,5,etc.).  That seemed to be a reasonable compromise.  Here, take a look

That was the case there in the early 90's - and in the meantime it has
surprised me that more places haven't adopted this policy (sharing
days) since then.  The only one that I can think of (where it may no
longer be in effect, it may be "all hiking, all the time") is a part
of the Tahoe Rim Trail near Mt. Rose.

<snip>

> And you can have your two-stroke engines, you haven't lived unless you've
> heard the last year (1996?) of the ferrari Formula 1 3.0L V12s.  With an
> 18,500rpm redline, those screamed like satan himself.  Or the song of
> angels, it's your choice.

Two-strokes are apparently dirty, too, or at least some of them were.
Not too many years, someone I know working on Federal emissions
regulations said two-stroke snowmachines used to put as much
particulate matter into the air, in just one hour of operation, as an
automoble did in 20,000 miles of driving.

> <troll>I'm also suprised no-one has started the horses vs. mtn. bike erosion
> debate... </troll>

Debate?  The studies I have read (albeit some time ago) said that
horses have a much greater impact on erosion.