On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:51:28 -0400, Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On 8/29/06, John Crowley, Jr. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> 1) Should my cracked / broken ribs of July 1st have healed by now?  If
>> not, is it possible I really tore up cartilage that will take longer
>> to heal (or maybe not)?
>
>In general, broken bones are healed by six weeks, so yes, it should
>have healed by now.  Cartilage, as you know can take up to twelve.
>See my next comment.
>

>> 2) How does one know if they've recently torn or really messed up a
>> rotator cuff and whether I should go see a doc about getting it
>> examined and perhaps repaired?  (doesn't Scott Danis have personal
>> experience with this?)

Not exactly.  Mine was a torn labram, the padding between the ball and
socket of the shoulder.  A rotator cuff tear can be one of 4 tendons making
sort of a harness around the shoulder.  Weakness, pain and immobility are
the symptoms.  Nasty tears unchecked may form scar tissue, making
reconstructive surgery impossible and pain/damage permanent.  Physical
therapy is the least cost solution and would be my first choice(as it was
with my shoulder, but they shook their heads and sent me to the
surgeon/sports medicine doc saying they couldn't help).  From what I've
heard, recovery from a torn rotator cuff is more painful but shorter than my
sort of thing.  It took me 18 weeks before I had the green light.  The
looseness and pain are history, but the clicking and popping is a little
louder.  Probably from the hardware.

>Does it hurt?  Do you have health insurance.  If the answer is yes to
>both of these, see a sports medicine doc.  If the answer is yes to
>only the first question, step in front of a car.
>
>> 3) Anyone with experience with avulsion fractures? As I understand
>> them, it's when ligaments withstand a traumatic event better than
>> bone, and the bone "pulls away" or fractures from bone before the
>> ligament tears.  I did this 11 years ago in my ankle in a ski crash,
>> and it still bothers, especially when I try to do light weight lifting
>> or any running (which I hardly do because of my back).
>>
>> Anyone?
>
>No experience necessary.  You'll probably feel this for the rest of
>your life, unless you have reconstructive surgery, which probably
>isn't worth it if the pain is not excruciating.  Look at it as God's
>way of saying that running and weighlifting are bad.

Unless you have had reconstructive surgery.  Then weightlifting is good.
Downright necessary, even.  However, running is pure evil.