My wife was working for a non-profit and they needed a free web authoring tool. I found NVU and hooked them up with it. The learning curve was short--only about an hour of training. It did everything they needed it to.

I think for most schools, though, I would suggest a comprehensive site management tool where people use templates. A remote hosted site is ideal for those schools lacking the personnel and expertise to manage a site in-house. Saranac Lake High School is using Schoolcenter.com and are very happy with it.

Steve Barner
South Burlington Schools

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dave Tisdell
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Web tools

NVU is a web authoring tool that runs on all platforms and is free and opensource.
http://www.nvu.com/index.php
Dav

>>> Vince Rossano <[log in to unmask]> 9/13/2006 12:09:54 pm >>>
Techsters:

We are interested in changing the tools we use to create, edit and
serve our web pages and would like suggestions from those of you who are
doing this effectively.

We are not seeking tools for high-powered web developers, but rather
for those teachers and students who want a relatively painless way of
creating and editing their personal web pages. This would include
teachers posting assignments, announcements, curriculum, etc. and
students publishing their work to the web.

I should mention that one of our schools has been using First Class for
these tasks and, in many ways, it has been effective.  However, we have
several reasons for wanting to discontinue its use, so we won't be
interested in suggestions involving that product.

Also, while we would be interested in hearing about outsourced
solutions, our intent for now is to try to keep it all in house.

Here then are some of our selection criteria:

..Ease of use.

..Cross-platform (Mac/PC)

..Flexible enough to employ district-wide, K through 12

..In compliance with open standards (though not necessarily open
source)

..And, as always, "reasonably priced." (Whatever that means to you is
close enough.)

Remarks, comments, advice?

Thanks.

Vince