I have played with both.  You can allow users to do some editing, but it
is not a trivial process (of course with some training it will be easy
enough).  It does make a very slick content driven site though.  Joomla
appears to be the more current fork of Mombo, but what works for one
typically works for the other.

I also found in my wanderings a component or module that allows Joomla
to look up though LDAP so you could have your user base still sitting in
NDS... er, eDirectory I mean (I haven't seen one for AD as of yet, but I
haven't looked either) and not have to create accounts for all your
users for every site.  That's the part that makes some of these apps
less appealing to me: having to manage all the users.

I've looked at a bunch of them, one simple one with gobs of plug-ins is
Drupal (www.drupal.org).  It's not going to solve the world's problems
(all we need for that is a viable electric car, some really healthy
potato chips, and clam dip), but a lot of people with a mind toward
education have made a lot of plug-ins/tools for it.  I even found one
that links to adult sites and pulls in thumb nails automatically for
you... just think of all the dough you could be making for your
school... the voters would love it when you went to town meeting and
told them that the school would not be asking for a penny from them...
in fact the school wanted to give a little back... free accounts!

Well, maybe not... You might not want to use the plug-in, but I did see
one that could make a very functional Service Request system.

You can also check into the phpnuke and it's spinoffs: phpnuke.org,
postnuke.org, cpgnuke.com (Dragonfly) and another Joomla/Mombo fork
called Zoomla (zoomla.org).

I just dug up a link with a few more...
http://directory.fsf.org/webauth/content/

Have fun,