Mark,

Nice photo...of, I am sure, an atlantis...

Alex

________________________________

From: Vermont Butterfly Survey on behalf of Mark Ferguson
Sent: Fri 9/8/2006 10:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VTLEPS] Azures and Fritillaries - followup

Thanks Harry, Kevin, Bryan, Alex, and Kent for your feedback on azures and
fritillaries.

The azures are a puzzling group, and thanks for the details on flights
Harry.  It's satisfying to know the Spirea observations were good.  I saw
at least three of the flights you noted in the Waterbury area this year,
but will check field notes to see if there may have been others.  Just got
a fresh looking one last week (C. neglecta by your time table).

For fritillaries, the eye color sounded easy enough so I went out to test
it.  I'm one who perceives colors differently, as noted by Alex, so I
snapped a shot and brought it home to verify.  Well, there was no concensus
among the "color-unchallenged" in my family whether the eyes were
yellow/tan or blue-gray.  In case anyone would like to provide an id, I've
posted the photo here:
http://www.snapdrive.net/pupload/view/33183
It sounds like for aphrodite/atlantis frits, it might be good to take
multiple photos showing several characters.  From the characters everyone
provided, I'm thinking of noting the following in photos: eye color,
underside of hind wing (follow-spots), and the two black marginal parallel
lines on the wings above, particularly forewings.

I realize this is awfully late in the season to be trying to figure this
out.

- Mark

CAUTION PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this transmission is
intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the intended
recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that we do not intend to waive
any privilege that might ordinarily be attached to this communication. Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in this
transmission is therefore prohibited. You are further asked to notify us of
any such error in transmission as soon as possible at the telephone
number/email address shown above. Thank you for your cooperation.