From: Marsha Deetz [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 10:15 AM
To: Perzeski, Donna
Subject: RE: ? Deep Freeze: Do You Use it in Your Library?

Hello Donna - please forward this on to Doris.  Thanks!  Marsha

We have Deep Freeze installed on 40 workstations that various students use 7
days a week.  I love it!
We have not had a virus or other such problems with any of the computers for
over a year, since it was installed.
I have created & installed seeds & consoles in version 5.4 & 6.0 (the
current version) - once you do it, it is easy.
Their tech support is very helpful and will talk to you for hours if need
be.

A few things to know/tips:

You can create "thawed" areas of any size (like a T: drive, which is
actually part of C: where they can save files to that won't erase - the
larger this is, the longer the PC/client installs
take) These thawed areas change with config seeds, so back up the data
before updating config setups on the pc/clients.

You can Freeze anything or everything or only C:, this includes USB & CDs,
etc.

You can set your PC/clients to restart thawed for a certain time period, so
your Antivirus and/or Windows updates can run-like at 5-6am, then it
restarts frozen.

You have to restart the PC thawed or any changes YOU make will not stay
either - then remember to re-freeze it again.

The hardest part is figuring out which file does what and where so this is a
summary:

The Console pgm monitors all PCs on the port with DF installed (you must
enable a port number UPD & TCP on each PC you want to communicate with) must
be on the same network with port enable but NOT be a pc/client.

The Administration file creates the configuration/setup criteria for the
"client install file" you will create and copy to the PC/client and run.
This is what actually freezes the PC/client.  Write down the encryption
authorization code exactly as entered - you will only have ONE chance and
may need this in the future, if you want to change the setup.

Basically once a pc/client is configured & frozen, you just forget it.  If
you have a problem with the PC just restart it and that resolves most
problems.

I would HIGHLY recommend it to any place where multiple people use a
computer but you still want to keep the same look & setup available for each
user.

Hope this helps!

Marsha Deetz