Our accountant raised two good points, which happen to be two of the primary
ingredients of a so-called proper suit, namely, material and fit.

Linen, seersucker cotton, or a lightweight wool cloth offer exceptional
comfort, even in the summer.  As it happens, loose-fitting long sleeves and
pants are cooler than shorts and short sleeves because they protect the skin
against direct sunlight.  Here in the Southwest suits are superior,
although, alas, most residents do not realize this, because they protect
against the sun's rays and they offer insulation from the icy-cold
air-conditioning.

As for the tie, I find that a shirt collar that fits comfortably makes all
the difference.

On 9/29/06, David Merfeld <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Justin et. al.
>
> It's all a question of weather.  During the warm months, I wear
> open-necked
> shirts and linen pants at my office, and have never had a client complain.
> Come the fall, I'm with Ben.  A man's suit was designed for the English
> winter - cool and damp.  That's why they are made of wool, not cotton or
> linen. From about November to May, they are way more comfortable than the
> alternatives.
>
> For years, I wrestled (figuratively) with tie-or-no-tie.  Then it hit me:
> just wear a looser shirt.
>
> David "dark suit, tie and 15" shirt on 14" neck today" Merfeld

Benjamin Kulas

caveat lector