For those who don't know, or who are looking for a more precise forecast
for various elevations/locations this winter, the NWS gridpoint forecast
is the way to go (weather.gov).  I've always been a fan of it over
forecasts from The Weather Channel (weather.com) or Accuweather.com.

Snow showers had been in the forecast for tonight in the Green Mountains
above 3,000ft but has since been removed.  In talking with the guys at the
NWS, Pete Banacos explains the benefits and possible drawback of missing
your exact location/elevation:

"That's really the advantage of the gridded database; for NWS forecasters
to build in this kind of point specific detail where (and when) possible.
I simply selected all grid points above 3000' in central and northern VT
and put in snow showers for a specific time period. One would hope that
users are selecting their grid points carefully enough though to get the
elevation they want. The point-and-click forecast shows the elevation of
the point selected, which is good. Hopefully, that avoids any potential
confusion if someone is really looking for an adjacent town in a river
valley."

For an example, I'll use Arizona since Ben Kulas sparked my interest to
take a look...it is completely different from a "zone" forecast in which
Watches and Warnings are assigned to (usually a county or part of a
county).  I'm not sure what the size of the grid is, but you can get
pretty localized.

Canyon Day, AZ at 5,800ft
http://tinyurl.com/mg76s
Nearby Peak (Ski Apache?) at 9,900ft
http://tinyurl.com/pa7cp

Notice the difference in temperatures and weather (when applicable) as you
rise in elevation.
Underhill Center at 1,000ft
http://tinyurl.com/lpgvz
Mt. Mansfield at 2,500ft
http://tinyurl.com/lt57h
Mt. Mansfield at 3,400ft
http://tinyurl.com/qhbbe

Can be a very useful tool, especially last season with the upslope
snowfall that hit Jay, Smuggs, Stowe, and Bolton a couple times in March.
If you clicked on 1,000ft you'd see small accumulations of 2-4" but if you
got above 3,000ft on Mansfield the forecasted accumulations were 8-12".

Just something to think about when you are planning your ski/snowboard
days this winter...
-Scott