Hi, Folks,

Just a quick note on listserv manners. Try to avoid sending your ‘take me off the list’ emails to the whole list. There are several more respectful ways to deal with it. So, in the spirit of “teach a person to fish” …

Save those “welcome to the list” messages

These messages have all the instructions you need to remove yourself from the list, or for getting help if you have trouble receiving messages, and how to access archives. This may not be an issue for this aikido list, but when you need to get the message that had the assignment deadline or directions to the party, it can be helpful. So just stash these messages in an email folder for future reference.

Use the web

Most lists at UVM (and elsewhere) have a web page. You can go to http://list.uvm.edu/archives to see most lists, though some are private. On the web page, there is a link to “join or leave the list.”

So, go to the aikido list webpage [ http://list.uvm.edu/archive/aikido.html ] and leave the list. Gotta love self-service.

Contact a person, not the list

If you haven’t saved the message, and have no idea where the web page is, try asking someone  (not everyone). On this list, Danielle and I are managers.

The old-fashioned way

The way you used to leave a list, and a way that still works, is to send an email to the email list processor. This is not the list itself, but the software the runs the lists. Here at UVM, that’s [log in to unmask] . In the body of the message, write “unsubscribe [listname]”. For example, to leave the aikido list, the message would be “unsubscribe aikido”.

More resources

All About LISTSERV at UVM

    http://www.uvm.edu/cit/listserv/

Netiquette

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

I hope that helps you manage your email list. Remember, please respect your peers and don’t send requests to the list that should be handled elsewhere.

--Geoff

Geoffrey Duke , Aikido Club Advisor

Sr. System Administrator,  Enterprise Technology Services, University of Vermont