Thanks to everyone..... on the av request
I did fix it this am......

I had pretty much narrowed down my failed updates to my
firewall.after 3 different support calls to symantec ... and upgraded
my sonic wall to include gateway av service.....
It was my IPS service on my sonic wall set to block medium security
risks.... ie downloading software updates........ I first switched
off my ips and updates flowed like water... they set it to report not
block medium threats....
Wish I could set it to allow specific url or file signature... and
will look into...

I think I may still migrate away from all symantec..... I had thought
it was mainly Norton that bogged machines down......but gather
symantec corporate edition is equally bloated and can agree having
gone through countless registry edits to manually uninstall....