Lots of opinions out there on how that "technology protection measure" in
e-rate could / should be interpreted regarding email tinkering. Probably a
few options exist for more and less complicated solutions. When in doubt the
horses mouth could always suffice:

http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/request.py?contact_type=edu

Here's a cool one too:

http://www.asu.edu/news/stories/200610/20061010_asugmail.htm