At 08:55 PM 10/17/2006, you wrote:

> > (and, unfortunately, most reasonable and modern video formats are
> > proprietary)
>
>DivX? Xvid?

They are proprietary. In fact DivX went public last month at
~$16/share and is currently trading around $25. They had over $33M
last year in licensing fees from hardware manufacturers.
More info at this entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvid

Going back to the original thread question, there are quite a few
video converters - freeware/open source, shareware, paid - that will
go from/to almost any format, including QuickTime.

This one (open source) looks interesting (I haven't tried it yet):
http://www.effectmatrix.com/index.htm

The one I have used with success is: http://deskshare.com/dmc.aspx
which I purchased on a special promo for $25 (current pricing is $40)

-marc

www.mchrusch.com
Direct link to my weblog page:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mchrusch/blog/blogger.html