We left Stowe late this afternoon and crossed over the Notch in
driving rain to visit our son at his new digs on the "other side".

  Round about 6 the teaming rain turned to sleet, then heavy snow.
Round about 7:30 we left Jeffersonville village (after a very good
dinner at 158 Main) -- heavy wet-ish snow still dumping -- say 3-4
inches down there in valley.  Brief power outage just as we finished
dinner.  A later phone call from son said power went out completely
in Jeffersonville.  Guess we left just in time.

  Notch crossing home NOT.   Probably closed -- the signs were
ready.   The slog down Rt. 15 was a SLOW conga line behind somebody
crawling along.  Visibility definitely was an issue. On the ride from
son's house to Jeffersonville village we found it easier to see with
the headlights OUT (it wasn't pitch dark yet then)  Still dumping
right into Johnson village.  After that it got thinner.

   By the time we finally got to Morrisville the traffic was gone and
the snow was going to rain.  It was mostly rain right down Rt. 100
into Stowe Village.   The uphill road to our house turned to snow
about half way up, but it was fine snow and no accumulations like on
other side of Mansfield.   We really expected to see more snow up at
the house (1200 ft).  NOT.   Maybe the cooler temps haven't pushed
past Mansfield yet.  It WAS getting windy.

   We presume the deeper snow will be on the Smuggs side, but no
doubt Stowe side of Mansfield will have lots to offer.  We'll await
the on-site reports tomorrow.  Presume it will be heavy snow, but you
never know up there...

Carol