On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 07:40:20 -0400, McCusker, Brad <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>But, I did get to look out at
>the coast, could see a couple remaining pill boxes on the hills and was
>struck with awe thinking of the men who had to come ashore against such
>challenges.  Saving Private Ryan made an impression on me, but seeing
>that coast line in person made a greater impression.  Next time I've got
>time to kill in France, I really want to spend a day or two out in that
>area, if only to pay respect to those who gave their lives there.

It's a cool area, highly recommended.  When we lived in France, I never
got close to Normandy and had no real interest.  But we went back a couple
of years ago and made the trip.  The beaches were really interesting (lleh
of a place to storm the beach).  But the American cemetery really blew
me away.  There's something mystical about that place and it's intensely
beautiful.  If you have to get blown up at 20 years old in a war, at
least you get to spend eternity in this beautiful place.  Oh yeah, not
too shabby are the Rouen cathedral and Mont St. Michel, both close by.

Mig