Day 01, 2006-2007
North Central Green Mountains
October 20, 2006

I made fun of the reeb soaked college kids flying by on their inner
tubes. "Hicks!" I'd yell. Wasting the vertical with flimsy rubber non-
directional impromptu glisse apparatus while I trudged smugly uphill with
my Burton Performer Elite 145, failing completely to see the irony of
dissing one mans fun in favor of my own.
It's been almost four months since I got on a snowboard to ride.
Late this summer I was sitting in the shop staring vacantly into space
generally in the area where most of the boards reside. Near the front was
the snowdeck and one of my really short boards from the mid 80's, back when
I thought riding trees called for a short board (this was just before
switching to big wave 'guns').
The snowdeck is fun to have in the back of the car for those sessions that
materialize off the cuff but it lacks big time in the conditions I normally
find myself riding: unconsolidated snow of varying depths. The little ski
that the snowdeck comes with has zero floatation, rendering it incapable of
first tracks during backyard sessions. But its versatility is unmatched: no
bindings to get into, very short and light, easy to take with you.
I dismounted the ski from the skateboard deck and trucks that comprise the
snowdeck. I removed the bindings from my shortest of short boards and
placed the skateboard and trucks on the snowboard and found that by
drilling out the skateboard mountings I could get the thing on the
snowboard no problemo.
Which is what I did. Ages ago.
Today started with rain and more rain. But by late morning you could see
the falling snow across the valley and it occurred to me that it might snow
after all. Then  Whammo!  three inches and accumulating of Mother
Nature's finest, snow and wind hammering out of the NW. The Fall
disappeared in a white blizzard.
Today's the day. The wait is over.
I grab the snow/skateboard, a pair of gloves, and run outside.