> Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:57:46 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Snow Friday Night and Significant Upslope Snowfall Mon-Wed
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> On 10/19/06, Scott Braaten <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Closest event I can think of that looks similar was November 13-14, 2003.
> > Look it up in the archives...
>
> Ahhh, and what a weekend that was.
>
> But don't forget November 15-16-17, 1999 - still my favorite early
> season upslope event of all-time.

Unfortunately, I wasn't around for the November 2003 event, but I did go and look at the archive for what I wrote on the November 1999 event:

"This week, the Northern Green Mountains received 2-3 feet of snow due to
a storm that did a "sit and spin" maneuver up near the mouth of the
St. Lawrence Seaway.  It effectively pulled moisture off the Atlantic
Ocean, spun it in a counterclockwise flow around the center of the low
pressure system and plastered the moisture on our mountains in the form
of snow.  2+ feet is a great snowfall for any time of year, but for mid
November, it's outstanding.  Even with all the snow accumulating in the
mountains on Monday and Tuesday, near the lake in Burlington we didn't
receive much more than a dusting, even though we had a few periods of
moderate snow.  Ironically, a very small system that came through
Wednesday night gave more accumulating snow (about 1/2 inch) on the
ground in Burlington than the entire 2 1/2 day event."

I guess that's back before I even knew they were called upslope events, because I would have used the term if I knew it.  But, thanks to Scott's great forecasts and other information, I know a lot more than I used to.

J.Spin

Search from any Web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live Toolbar Today! Try it now! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.