A quick update from a second location.  We left South Burlington around 9:00 P.M., where the ~1/2 inch of snow that my parents had received was mostly gone and the precipitation had changed back to rain.  The temperature in that area had spiked from ~36 F during the earlier snowfall to around 37-38 F.  Driving was difficult on I-89 & Route 2, with heavy snow & slush on most of the roads if plows hadn't just gone through.  The rain changed back to snow around Williston and it snowed moderately all the way back to Waterbury.  The temperature had dropped to 33.3 F by the time we reached our place (elevation 495 feet).  I did four snow accumulation measurements there at around 10:00 P.M. (three elevated and one ground level) and they all came out right around 1.75 inches.  As of that time the precipitation had tapered off to light snowfall made up of relatively small flakes.

J.Spin

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 19:30:17 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]

> Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:29:42 -0400
> From: [log in to unmask]
>
> Wet snow mixing in with rain here in Colchester at 5:30.. yeeeha!

I'm not sure what time it started, but by 6:00 P.M. it was really coming down hard in Burlington (UVM area at around 400').  There's about 1/2 inch of very high moisture snow accumulation here at my parent's place in South Burlington (390.5' at first floor level) but the precipitation has now tapered off to just light snow (7:15 P.M.).  When I was out in Burlington earlier today, I remember thinking about how intense and wind driven the rain was, and wondered what it would have been like if it was snow.  Well, I found out just a couple of hours later.  Even though it was 36 degrees F, the snow was coming down so hard in such huge flakes that it accumulated really fast.  The windward side of my car was completely plastered and it actually took quite a while to clean it off and get the interior warm enough to defog the intense moisture that was building up.  It was an impressively intense snow experience.  It will be interesting to hear about what accumulates up high, but if it changed over a little earlier and lasts a little longer, a couple of inches should be easy to reach.

J.Spin

Call friends with PC-to-PC calling -- FREE Connect now! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.