At 08:05 PM 10/26/2006, you wrote:
>Hiking fast and at altitude.
>Sounds like you're doing great Denis.  Good to hear.
>
>A note for the rock climbers on the board:  That tram leads to one
>of the best little-known
>bouldering areas in the country.  On a 105 degree day in Palm
>Springs, you can take the tram and
>be in a cool alpine environment, overlooking the desert, and scaring
>yourelf silly while climbing
>blank 20-foot tall  granite eggs.  A truly unique place.

Even those who are not into "blank 20-foot tall  granite eggs" would
enjoy this trip.  There are lift junkies on the list; the tram in
question is the second-biggest lift in the world in terms of vertical
rise.  A mechanical marvel - despite which it uses less horsepower
than most of the McBFLs in the northeast - purely as a function of
physics.  Find yourself sweltering in Palm Springs, and the Tram is
your answer - up a mile or so, where it's cool and pretty.  The tram
is a tourist attraction, it is true - but there are marvels of view
and environment at the top.  Get away from the terminal and it's
downright fabulous up there.

Denis, I have always been impressed by you - moreso by your
post-surgery efforts.  Which said:  listers who have the misfortune
to find themselves in the vicinity of Palm Springs (an elegant hell
if there ever was one) MUST go for that ride.  It's great.

BTW - if you're there for a second day, take the two-hour drive and
go to Joshua Tree.  It's like being on another planet.  Unbelievably
gorgeous - and weird - place.  Go.  Trust me.  You'll thank me later.