John Atkinson [[log in to unmask]] writes:

>On the other hand, mountain biking doesn't seem to be a problem now. It
>does make me wonder why it is part of an ANR winter deer yard easement
>template, though.

I sympathize with your struggle against the beaurocracy, but I don't
know how mountain biking affects deer.  My brother (who gets into it
regularly with various agency factions in WA) can point me to several
places where mountain biking affects fish spawning streams more
egregiously than (motorized) dirt biking, yet the mountain bike faction
gets deference over dirt bikers.

Mountain bikes cause deeper erosion on steeper wet stuff than dirt
bikes. With tires, fatter is definitely better, and even with the added
weight of the machine the pressure on the soil is lower. You rarely see
a dirt bike descending a slippery hill with the rear wheel locked up the
way many mountain bikers do.  Mechanized isn't NECESSARILY worse (for
the fishies, anyhoo.)

But keep that under your hat in the discussion with the ANR eh? No need
to give 'em even more grist for the mill!

It's politics, which is never pure, rarely simple. I hope you make out
on the trail maintenance & skier access front.  Unless you were all
about cutting skating lanes and groomin' 'em I can't imagine Bambi cares
much. I'm not very concerned about maintaining deer habitat- they seem
to thrive in the 'burbs to the point of becoming nuisances in places
where you're not allowed to shoot 'em. Could be somebody sees the local
deer population as their private reserve food & blood-hobby stock,
doesn't want 'em to move elsewhere.

dana
_____________ ________ __