Despite a busy work schedule, I managed to sneak out just before
sunset.  I didn't make it all the way to the top of the Vista chair
(my original plan), as the sun dropped behind a heavy cloud bank
before it hit the horizon and I was a bit concerned about running out
of light.  Instead, I put my skis on at the top of Swing after doing
a quick depth check (Based on tail insertion depth, I'd say there's
about 12" on Sherman's near the Swing intersection, which seemed
neither particularly wind-loaded nor particularly windscoured).  I
skied Swing to Work Road and then continued down Fanny Hill, trying
not to catch my 188s in the crust...and then I hit the stuff that
hadn't crusted up.  Most of Lower Fanny Hill was well-covered with
soft snow, and I got several legitimate turns in above and below the
narrow section in the middle (which had some slight coverage
issues).  I'll probably get a few pics up later today.

Then I woke up this morning to mixed news.  The good: the stuff
coming down is [was?] crystalline.  The bad: I'd have a hard time
calling it snow.  It was bouncing off my sliding door, and the wind
seemed to be coming in (in hindsight, I should have made sure the
storm was shut last night).  An hour later--at 0800--it stopped
bouncing, but it still ain't pretty.

Pics are up at <http://www.kevinbroderick.com/gallery/v/BoltonValley/
SkiingRiding0607/27Oct06/>

Addendum:
I was out on the hill for work purposes today, and the snow seemed to
be holding up pretty well--the water hazards have gotten worse, and
waterbars were full of tasty-looking slush--but the snow seemed like
it would have been worth skiing, had I not already been out in the
niar for a sufficient amount of time to get wet and make my toes
cold.  With next week's forecast, I'm cautiously optimistic--I think
I have a better chance of getting good skiing in than I do of getting
warm weather in which to put my snow tires on.

Kevin T. Broderick