Thanks, Coach.  I appreciate the explanation and clarification.

  Do you remember roughly during what year/years you were returning those bindings?  When were your coaching days?  :)  Just wondering if it might be consistent with these bindings...2000-2002ish...somewhere in there?

  Also, did you discover the problematic bindings because your students were pre-releasing from the bindings?  Or was the problem otherwise obvious?

  Interesting about your brother's observation of the Centro bindings testing inconsistently.  Was that roughly within the same time-frame?

  Thanks again for helping me to sort through this, Coach.

  Joanie

"Jonathan S. Shefftz" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I think there are two different things getting mixed up here:

1. The regular Atomic bindings would sometimes get messed up after awhile,
so that the heel would essentially be functioning at a very low release
setting no matter what the indicator window read and how far the release
screw was turned. I returned a few pairs of these during my coaching days.

2. The Centro design was just messed up in general. When my brother was
working in a ski shop, he tested some, and the results were wildly
inconsistent. (Unfortunately, he did this *after* skiing - or rather,
attempting to ski - on a pair at Kirkwood, although then again it was
mildly amusing seeing my brother with his far superior skiing skills
relative to mine actually fall, even if it wasn't his fault.)