Welcome to the world of ANR.  This agency no longer knows who they are protecting only that their power is absolute.  In Addison County the issue is approval of alternative septic systems.  They don't have to approve them so they won't.  The head of the agency was appointed as a political favor as are most of the other leaders in this administration.  Maybe we can make some changes on November 7th.
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of John Atkinson
Sent: Mon, October 23, 2006 1:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SKIVT-L] Skiing is mechanized? Hurts deer?

So I've been working on maintaining and rerouting trails on the Moretown
Town/School Land for three years now. In 2002, I started by making a
proposal to the Selectboard, School Board and Planning Commission for
legitimizing the trails for non-motorized uses, mainly in the summer, fall
and winter, including biking, hiking, snowshoeing and skiing. The two
property owners (Town and School) agreed to let me do the work
immediately, but the Planning Commission wanted more. Through this
process, I ended up joining the PC and further refining the proposal to
their (our) satisfaction, among other fun duties, like revising zoning
regulations.

Well fast forward to this month. The local landfill, MLI, in order to
expand its size, needs to mitigate the impacts this expansion will have on
winter deeryard on their property. As migitation, MLI proposed to Moretown
a purchase of the development rights for the heart of the Town/School
Land. In exchange for this conservation easement, the Town would get
$100,000 and we have been offered a lease for a much-needed site for the
Town Garage for $1 a year.

Sounds awesome, right? Moretown conserves the land, gets some cash and a
cheap place to put the Garage. Well, the devil is always in the details.

I won't get into the politics of the situation, but some of the easement
stipulations raised concerns among many Moretown residents. For example,
no more biking, despite the fact that the easement protects a "winter"
deeryard. The document uses the "mechanized" defense to justify the
exclusion.

Russ Barrett, Washington County Forester, stated at a public meeting in
Moretown last week that summer recreation does not affect winter deer
yards. Last I checked, mountain biking is not a threat to Vermont's deer
herd. Yet, this is language common to all ANR-approved deeryard mitigation
easements in Vermont.

Even more disturbing is the ban on skiing and the maintenance of ski
trails. Snowshoeing is permitted and there is some discussion of wildlife-
based recreation being a priority, but how can ANR claim that skiers
aren't there because of nature? Or bikers, for that matter?

This is one of my favorite spots for mushroom hunting and I always go on
my bike. I know lots of people who ski and look at animal tracks. The deer
don't care how you got there.

While the language doesn't come right out and lump skiing in with
mechanized use, i.e. biking, it does exclude it in  the same way. This
language is also common to all deeryard mitigation easements in Vermont.

I've been involved in trail access advocacy VT for almost 15 years and
this was news to me. I'm certain it's news to you all too. This deal is
not about the Town Garage vs. bikers and skiers or conservation vs.
recreation. It is about making sure Moretown doesn't kill the goose that
laid the golden egg. But there are larger implications behind this that
affect potentially large areas of Vermont in perpetuity. What do you all
think?

John