Yes, the forum does verify Zoo accounts (and passwords).  phpBB actually
has a pretty sophisticated permissions system; we can configure access
levels almost any way we want.

The setup for General Discussion and Jobs deliberately allows posts from
anywhere (though I see this has created a bit of a spam problem -- I'll
delete those messages now); are our current officers monitoring this?

I've changed the CS-008/CS-002/CS-042 boards to "Registered" mode, which
is a configuration that allows anybody to view posts, but only
registered users to post.  This can be tightened or loosened as much as
you like, even to the point of allowing only specific users to see and
post.  Of course, to do that we'll need a list of users who are allowed in.

The biggest reason we chose phpBB for our forum is its permission
management scheme (which rivals vBulletin in power); we should
definitely be exploiting it.  (-: