Actually, this was reported on the news. It's a variation on the phishing scams. The idea is to scare you into revealing your SSN and other information.

And, yes, the police do sometimes contact you to invite you to be arrested -- http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196/is_19990627/ai_n10510032

Steve Barner, South Burlington High School

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Darth Vader
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 8:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: NOT A JOKE PLEASE READ

I did a little research into this a month or two ago when one of our users asked about it.  It's a hoax, snopes.com is a rumor and urban leagond site (a fun read if you have the time).  There haven't actually been any reported cases of this that I can actually find.  That being said, I can see someone possibly falling for it... maybe.

All I had to tell our was "Do you honestly think the police would call you on the phone so they can arrest you?"  Problem solved.

-Darth