David,

Schools that are offering AP Computer Science will have an instructor who is well-versed in Java, as this is the language used for the AP exam now. If anyone is interested in learning Java, Sun teamed up with the Cisco Networking Academy program a few years ago and created a comprehensive curriculum, including labs and assessments, for preparing for the AP exam. If anyone is interested in this training on a distance learning basis, we could help them with this at no cost. We currently have an instructor in Rutland doing this and it would be great to create a cohort.

More information about the course can be found at http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/course_catalog/Java.html or by contacting me.

Steve Barner, South Burlington High School

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Webb
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: JAVA

Dear List,
I noticed that Sun open sourced it's Java development environment which is a cross platform environment. It was noted that this would be helpful to education. The SIS system most of OWSU is a Java based application. Are any of us familiar enough with Java to teach others about it? Are there applications we could be developing that would be helpful to all of us? Is there a Vermont based open source community who could advise  Vermont educators how they can make use of this resource.
David
David Webb

believed to be clean.