From: "Chris Petrak" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 9:40 AM
Subject: [VTBIRD] Where are the sparrows?

This Fall the sparrows at my feeders have been very few. Where last year the
mixed flocks numbers 100s. Last year was exceptional, but previously there
were also substantial numbers. This year they have been in the 1-2 dozen
range and the variety seems rather limited. One or two white-crowns all
season - first tree this morning (1) - no foxes (yet). I've been asked the
question by others as well - where are the sparrows?

So I'm wondering - are others around the state having a similar experience?

If the lack of sparrows is common, I would presume that means the natural
food supply is abundant this year.

If the lack of sparrows is limited to SE Vt, or even to my section of the
West R. Valley, then I'd be interested in thoughts about why this is so.

Thanks in advance for sharing your sparrow feeder numbers - and thoughts.

Chris
Chris Petrak
South Newfane, VT
Tails of Birding - www.tailsofbirding.net