Michael, Your "mystery alcid" is a fulmar (dark morph). The thick
tubenose bill gives it away in several shots.
-Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael
DeCorte
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 6:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VTBIRD] [OT] Alaska Birds / Photos

I know this is off topic, but hopefully everyone will enjoy this little
diversion until the winter rarities show up.

We took a Cruise to Alaska during the first week of September.  It was a
lot of fun in many ways, especially standing on the deck, slowly
freezing, looking across the water for birds.  I had many people ask
what I was doing, but few birders seemed to be onboard.  Which is a
shame, because I'm pretty dreadful at gulls and pelagic birds.

I did fortunately take a lot of photos which has helped tremendously.
Many of the birds were pretty easy, but many were really hard for me.
Some are just plain mysteries.

Here's a link and you will find at the top of the page a list that you
can click on.

If you have any thoughts on the Mystery birds please lend your thoughts.
And please don't be shy if you think I missed an ID.

http://w1.decorte.us/pix/Alaska

thanks!

Michael DeCorte