My best gues on the gull was also Thayers but I couldn't convince myself
without seeing the underwing.

The mystery Alcidae spp has me completely lost.  I can't even come up with a
plausible fit.  I'll have to check
my guides tonight and check out the tubenose options...again...  I might end
up calling it a pelagic chickadee.

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 10:29:38 -0500
  Kim Likakis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>First, Michael, please tell me that pix #1554, 1557, etc. is not Mendenhall
> Glacier.
>
> The mystery gull looks good to me for Thayer's, particularly the wingtip
> pattern and extended white on P1.
>
> The amazing bird here is the mystery Alcidae spp.  This does not look like
> an Alcid to me at all.  The head shape is almost petrel-like, and the bill
> is startling as to both color and shape, almost like a tubenose.  I would
> love to hear someone else's comments.
>
> Kim
> Bennington

Michael DeCorte