On November 2nd, 8:00am I was walking along the path at the LaPlatte River Marsh Natural Area and saw three Gadwall.  The small white patch of secondaries was very visible on two of the birds and the third had a large, steeply slopped forehead and black tail coverts.  There was also two Common Merganser further up the river.

  Karen.

Bruce MacPherson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  In addition to the aforementioned Brant (thanks Roger) and Pied-billed Grebe
at the Shelburne Bay access, I spotted an American Wigeon male and a possible
pair of Gadwall there at dusk this evening. The Brant had climbed out of the
water and was feeding in the grass at the base of the rocky point that
protrudes from the access, providing an excellent view of this unusual goose.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington