Fresh ginger. Just chew on it. Also stay upwind of the diesel fumes. No heavy greasy food like bacon. Stay in the stern where there is less up and down and back and forth swaying of the boat. Stay out on the deck in the fresh air rather than in the cabin where diesel fumes, cooking odors if there's a galley and odors from the head collect. Keep you eyes on the horizon rather than on the water right below you. Be sure to eat or you get the dry heaves which are worse.

  My father ran the biggest party boat off the Jersey shore when I was a kid and at certain times of the year, the birders would ask if they could come along. (The Super Cat - anyone out there ever onboard??) I can still remember the names of the birds they used to see and what they looked like. Some got really close to feed in the chum slick. The unfortunte part is that at that time I thought they were the biggest nurds and it wasn't until many years later that I became a birder. Ahhhh -  what a waste - I could have started as a youngin' and had all the benefits that would have gone along with that.

- Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  No ideas about the mysteries but I do have a question about why so few
birders were on board: were they seasick? I went on a pelagic trip last June in
Maine and fully a third of the poor birders, who had spent good money and were
equipped with all sorts of optics and loads of excitement, spent the entire trip
either draped over the rail or lying flat on their backs on hard benches. The
outing became known as the Voyage of the Damned. (I was lucky - once I moved
from my original spot right next to the chum buckets - and saw awesome sights.)
It might be a worthwhile discussion for people to share seasickness remedies!

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center

Jeanne Fossani
Earth Friendly Coffee Outreach and Education
University of Vermont
Room 120 Hills Building
105 Carrigan Drive
Burlington, VT
1-802-656-0409
05405-0082

"How rich will we be when we have converted all our forests, our soil, our water resources, and our minerals into cash?"
- Jay Norwood "Ding" Darling, 1938