Cold air and variable winds - at times from the NW - triggered a decent push of RED TAILED HAWKS over Brigham Hill in Essex early Sunday afternoon.

Similar to a couple weeks ago, I had a large, dark eagle fly overhead, but this time I enjoyed long and varied looks at the bird in good light as it soared above. It was clearly an adult GOLDEN EAGLE in all it's glory: head was about 1/3 the length of the tail, slight bulge in the secondaries along the trailing edge of the wings, whisper of paleness along the base of the tail, and a shimmering blonde nape. It was spectacular.

Strange part was the way the bird lingered and actually moved - while i was watching it - from SW to NE. May have had something to do with the fact that at that point in the afternoon, the wind seemed to be shifting to SW.

Also had an adult MALE HARRIER moving south.

-Rick

 <http://www.dutchgardens.com/>