There was one feeding on a moose carcass in Shaftsbury all winter a few years ago. The landowner got pics. I believe I forwarded one to Kent. Kevin
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rick Renaud<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 3:11 PM
  Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] golden eagle, red taileds

  Hi Erb, et al.

  Over the last 8 years, I've had definitive looks at Golden Eagle in Vermont a couple other times besides yesterday. It's always been amidst a migration window (twice in early November; once in late March/early April). I've had 2-3 other sightings of eagles that I'd bet were GE, but that I could not confirm 100% - one just last week!

  While I assume it's uncommon, it doesn't surprise me that some GEs migrate through the area. Probably more of them move through than we think. I know there are breeding pairs in NY and MA. Here in VT, any large, dark eagle migrating overhead we know is much more likely to be a Baldie. If it is an adult GE, without perfect lighting on it or extended looks from a trained eye, it is hard to nail down anything 100% diagnostic that says otherwise. Silhouetted immature GEs are just as difficult - it's just a big, dark eagle. I'm sure that some GEs are dismissed as Baldies.

  So, while it's probably just good fortune that we were out looking at the times that Golden Eagles were flying over head (and giving it up good), you never know - perhaps one has decided hang around for the winter... ;)

  -Rick