 From my perspective, the best part of the Spire article is Alaina's
assertion about seeing the world through an engineer's eyes. Part of
that is understanding the world coherently, with an engineer's
vocabulary of principles. The other part is the designer's drive --
always being on the lookout for an urgent need whose solution pops
into clear view to engineering eyes. THIS is the sort of "integration"
that I want our students to achieve in the capstone course (and
throughout their curriculum). It matters even more than integrating,
say, strength of materials and kinematics.
Mike