Mary Jane,

Thanks for clarifying.  I have always been confused about the term "abstract grand list" - now I know why.  The moldy documents are the abstract of individual lists, and I have the lodged grand lists (and abstract of the grand list) for that time.  I got a suggestion to try to clean the covers with bleach, but the covers are paper and I don't think it would work.  Maybe after the new year I will give it a shot ...

-Bobbi
Mary JaneAt 01:05 PM 12/19/2006, you wrote:
I know this is picky, but there are three different documents discussed below and I think it's important we be sure we're all talking about the same thing.

The abstract of individual lists is lodged with the town clerk the same day the change of appraisal notices are sent out.  See 32 V.S.A. 4111.  It's sometimes referred to as the "preliminary grand list."

At the close of grievances, the book is turned over to the town and becomes the grand list.  See 32 V.S.A. 4151.

The abstract of the grand list is what is commonly called the 411 form.  It's described in 32 V.S.A. 4181.

Yours in pickiness,

Mary Jane at PVR

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [ mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bobbi Brimblecombe
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: what would you do?

Thanks for the advice.  I had someone come in from our historical society, and together we looked at them and compared them to records that I already have.  The moldy books are all abstracts of the grand list, but I have the actual grand list for all of the years in question.  We removed all of the loose notes and letters for the historical society (these were not moldy - only the covers are).  When I get a chance, I will photocopy the moldy books and then toss them, as much as I hate to throw anything away!

-Bobbi