> 1. IMAGES
> Chittenden East Supervisory Union has an effective Internet content
> filter, SurfControl.  However, we are unable to filter image searches.
> We want to leave open image searches, but with moderate filtering.
> People can, and do, easily turn off the moderate filter in Google.

Our solution to this has been 1) Block the "Search Engine" category (iPrism
allows us to do this). This also served to restrict some of the odd and
perhaps unreliable search engines kids were using 2) Whitelist five or six
major search engines. 3) block the image search URL for those search engines
that are "open". To obtain images students do a web search that includes
"image" or "picture" as a keyword, which yields websites containing the
desired images. If the site is not appropriate it will be blocked. We
developed this strategy after discovering that students were "browsing porn"
through thumbnail images on image search engines.

> Is there a master list of "safe" sites that someone has compiled?

Microsoft Office Online?

Eric Hall
Technology Coordinator
Waterbury/Duxbury Schools