-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steve Jarrett
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 1:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: images, streaming and filtering

Two areas:

1. IMAGES
Chittenden East Supervisory Union has an effective Internet content
filter, SurfControl.  However, we are unable to filter image searches.
We want to leave open image searches, but with moderate filtering.
People can, and do, easily turn off the moderate filter in Google.

We've tried:
a.  white-listing in our server the moderately filtered search of Google
s while black-listing the other types, but the url fluctuates too much
to make the approach effective.
b. using other "safe" sites, but have found none that are satisfactory
for our purposes.

Has anyone come up with a satisfactory image filtering method?

Is there a master list of "safe" sites that someone has compiled?

2. STREAMING
We block sites like youtube.com during the day, and tell teachers to
save them after school for later use.  However, many educationally
appropriate sites, for example CNN, have video streams.   Does anyone
have an efficient way to avoid clogging the bandwidth while making
available appropriate streaming during the day?  Is any technology on
the horizon to help schools?

Steve Jarrett
District Technology Coordinator
Chittenden East Supervisory Union
(802) 899 - 4690 X502
(fax) (802)899-2904

This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family
Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  If this e-mail contains
student information and you are not entitled to access such information
under FERPA, please notify the sender.  Federal regulations require that
you destroy this e-mail without reviewing it and you may not forward it
to anyone.

Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).  If this email contains

dangerous content by MailScanner, ClamAV and Bitdefender  and is
believed to be clean.

--
Lucie deLaBruere
www.LearningWithLucie.com