-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Barner
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 2:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Student Information Systems?

At South Burlington High School, we're not using the attendance feature
of Schoolmaster, because we haven't figured out yet how to allow teacher
input without having the teacher override daily attendance records. The
seating chart indicates the student's attendance for that day. If the
teacher clicks the student's picture, it changes the student's
attendance record, apparently for the day, not just that class. There is
also no apparent way for a teacher to tell if the absence was excused or
not the next day without pulling up the individual student's attendance
record, which is too cumbersome to expect teachers to do on a daily
basis.

It's very possible that Schoolmaster has some way that they have
addressed online classroom attendance, but the way we have found, while
easy, does not appear to be terribly useful.

*************************
Stephen Barner
South Burlington High School
550 Dorset Street
South Burlington, VT 05403
(802) 652-7015
(802) 652-7013 (Fax)
http://sbhs.sbschools.net
<https://mail.sbschools.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://sbhs.sbscho
ols.net>
http://vtacad.net
<https://mail.sbschools.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://vtacad.net>
---

"When we study music, we practice... because there is no other way to
become a musician. Neither can we become engineers by just studying a
textbook, because practical experience is needed to correlate the
so-called theory with practice." Charles Franklin Kettering