Hi all,

I subscribe to this list with my personal e-mail address, and my
winooski e-mail address -don't ask me why, I'm not sure why I do it
myself. Anyhow, over the weekend, my school e-mail address was
removed from this list with the below error message. I'm checking all
of our e-mail and spamware firewall to see if there are any problems
but so far I do not see any. Any ideas?:

Sat, 9 Dec 2006 00:02:41

You  have been  automatically  removed from  the  SCHOOL-IT list
(School
Information Technology Discussion) as a result of repeated delivery
error
reports from your  mail system. This decision was based  on the
automatic
error monitoring policy in effect for the list, and has not been
reviewed
or otherwise confirmed by a human  being. If you receive this
message, it
means that  something is wrong: while  you are obviously able  to
receive
mail, your mail system has been regularly reporting that your account
did
not exist, or that you were otherwise permanently unable to receive
mail.
Here is some information which may assist  you or your local help
desk in
determining the cause of the problem:

- The failing address is [log in to unmask]

- The first error was reported on 2006-12-06.

- Since then, a total of 2 delivery errors have been received.

- The last reported error was: 5.4.6 554 5.4.6 Too many hops

PLEASE DO NOT  IGNORE THIS MESSAGE. While you can  of course re-
subscribe
to the list, it is important for  you to report this problem to your
mail
administrator so that  it can be solved. This problem  is not
specific to
the SCHOOL-IT list,  and also affects your private mail.  This means
that
YOU HAVE PROBABLY LOST SOME PRIVATE  MAIL AS WELL. Anyone trying to
write
to you  during the same time  frame will probably have  received the
same
errors for  the same reason.  The SCHOOL-IT list is  but one of  the
many
people who  may have  tried to write  to you while  your mail  system
was
malfunctioning.

DO NOT LET TECHNICAL PEOPLE CONVINCE YOU THAT THIS IS NORMAL. It is
never
normal for a mail system to claim  that a valid, working account does
not
exist, just as it would not be  normal for the post office to return
some
of  your mail  with  "addressee  unknown" when  the  address was
written
correctly.  It is  true that  some mail  systems are  less reliable
than
others, and your technical people may be doing the best they can with
the
tools  they have.  But, ultimately,  the level  of service  that you
are
receiving is the result of a  business decision, and not something
due to
a universal technical limitation that  one can only accept. Reliable
mail
systems do exist, and  it is ultimately up to you  to decide whether
this
level of service is acceptable or not.

Bryan Thompson
Vermont, USA