This is NOT quite the SAME topic, but sort of related...
I read an EXCELLENT blog post today  about FREEDOM and RESPONSIBILITY and
WEB2.0 and ONE to ONE intiatives  that was good food for thought.  Thought
I'd share it with all of us who are struggling to find the balance between
freedom and responsibility and web2.0 tool.

http://practicaltheory.org/serendipity/index.php?/archives/731-Dealing-With-The-Worst-Consequences-of-Your-Best-Ideas.html

It's a long post... but here is an excerpt that sums up some of the thoughts
that caught my attention in this post...

"The best thing about Beacon is that we have really empowered kids. The
worst thing about Beacon is that we have really empowered kids. So, when the
moment comes, and that student says, 'Excuse me, Mr. Lehmann? Your lecture
today, a bit teacher-centric, don't you think?' before you decide to clobber
the child, remember that the same student was at school until 7:00 pm the
night before, working, building, creating, practicing, performing... and
realize that both actions stem from a sense of empowerment, belonging and
ownership of their school." And I've said that same thing to every teacher
at SLA because *nothing* is a panacea, and sometimes, even the empowerment
that we instill in our students can cross the line into entitlement, no
matter how much we preach about the balance of freedom and responsibility."

Food for thought...
Lucie

--
Lucie deLaBruere