Okay, as long as we sem to be drifting a bit on this topic......  There is
problem in the definition of economic demand and elasicity of demand that
will have strong influence upon the ability of the nominal homo "not so'
sapiens relative to adapting to rapidly changing economic conditions. One
popular choice has been to choose inelasticity and finding a scapegoat
population (do I really need to give an example here?) To put in slightly
different terms how does culture get adapted to environment as opposed to
the more familiar adaptation of adaptation of the environment to
expectations, until the inelasticity of the environment strikes back, eg
collapsing fishery stocks, dead zones from pollution, or more mundanely
shifting from a car culture to high density occupancy. It seems as much to
do the principles and vocabulary of economism(note spelling, ie not
"economics"). Another variety is political reformism. I went to a grand
confabulation of MoveOn.org here recently and they had four top issues and
then a a whole elaborate concept of generating a lobbying organization.
Trouble is, as one example, in the advocacy of "Clean Energy" they didn't
have a clue as to what they were advocating for and what the real choices
are, other than a very nebulous "restoring democracy" (doesn't anyone real
political and economic history at all?), In the lobbying process they
seemed uncommonly tilted toward specious speculations about bio-ethanol or
nuclear as an acceptable risk. The more particular response was that I was
way ahead of them. It all seems to be more about being caught in a certain
set of demand assumptions, and refusing to adapt to the 'environmental'
details. It seems to bode very poorly for the hand axe equivalents over
pther possibilities.  Comments general and specific, please, Tadit