Matt trolls:
>Al Gore to the nation on CBS: "Remember, America, I gave you the
>Internet, and I can take it away!"
>
>http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/09/14/politics/main233560.shtml

In context......that line was from a Letterman Top Ten list: TOP TEN
REJECTED GORE-LIEBERMAN CAMPAIGN SLOGANS (as read by Al Gore)

What really happened (from Snopes, which has now made copy/paste a
real pita and requires jumping through flaming hoops):

The "Al Gore said he 'invented' the Internet" put-downs were
misleading, out-of-context distortions of something he said during an
<http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/03/09/president.2000/transcript.gore/index.html>interview
with Wolf Blitzer on CNN's "Late Edition" program on 9 March 1999.
When asked to describe what distinguished him from his challenger for
the Democratic presidential nomination, Senator Bill Bradley of New
Jersey, Gore replied (in part):

During my service in the United States Congress, I took the
initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving
forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important
to our country's economic growth and environmental protection,
improvements in our educational system.

Clearly, although Gore's phrasing was clumsy (and perhaps
self-serving), he was not claiming that he "invented" the Internet
(in the sense of having designed or implemented it), but that he was
responsible, in an economic and legislative sense, for fostering the
development the technology that we now know as the Internet. To claim
that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the "invention" of
the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose
out of a close presidential campaign. Gore never used the word
"invent," and the words "create" and "invent" have distinctly
different meanings...

-marc