Spent the better part of the day at Bolton.  I thought I'd go for a $9:9run ratio.  Didn't happen that way though.  I had about 10 "last runs".  It kept dumping.  I'd say 4-5 at mid by 2:00.  The margins stayed soft all day.  It was nice to put away the junk boards in exchange for the team Jaks.

>>> Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]> 12/19/06 12:09 PM >>>

I’m a bit surprised there haven’t been any Vermont snowfall/weather reports posted yet today to SkiVT-L, but perhaps my area is an anomaly with this event.  I woke up to 1.25 inches of fresh snow at our house this morning (elevation 495’), which constitutes the fourth snowfall of the season at our place, and brings our seasonal snowfall total to 11.5 inches.  Based on the NWS and VPR Eye on the Sky forecasts, I suspected there was the chance for some accumulating snowfall last night in the Northern Greens, but I didn’t really think we’d see much of anything in the valley.  Also, since Scott Braaten didn’t sound the upslope alarm, I didn’t give the snowfall potential too much regard.  It seemed like such a minor snow event, that instead of prepping my ski gear last night, I decided to wait until the morning and check on how (if) the snow fell before getting stuff together.  Peeking at the radar imagery last night before I went to bed, it also looked like the biggest stream of moisture was heading toward the Killington area, and that they were going to be the bull’s eye from this event.  There was a little signal starting to fill in near our neck of the woods, but it wasn’t enough of anything to get me thinking we’d see accumulating snow.

However, I woke up to a white wintry world at our house this morning, as all the grass had been covered, and the trees were coated.  We had a temperature of 29 degrees F, and I figured if we could build up more than an inch of snow, Bolton could do even better.  While the snow down at our elevation wasn’t really dry (not too surprising based on the temperature), it was still quite fluffy.  The term that immediately popped into my head to describe the snow was “wet and fluffy”, which brought back a vivid SkiVT-L memory.  I’ll never forget that terminology, because back on November 1st, 1995, Barry Thrash used it to describe a snowfall up at Bolton Valley (I think back when he lived up there), and then David Goodman proceeded to give him a hard time for using such a combination of terms:

http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9511&L=skivt-l&D=1&O=D&P=866

Well, that’s what described the snow at our house this morning, that’s all I can tell you.  It was light and full of air, but I still don’t think I could have blown it off my measurement area because all the crystals were stuck together at their edges.  It was quite interesting.

I guess we may be a bit of anomaly in terms of snowfall for this event, because the only other reports I could find in our range of accumulation on the Vermont hydrology report this morning were Northfield (a couple towns south of us right in Washington County) and Brookfield (the next town south of Northfield as you cross into Orange County), which were both reporting an inch of new snow.  The only ski areas that seem to be reporting anything in terms of new snow this morning are Bolton (2 inches) and Stowe (1 inch), which is sort of unusual.  I was pleasantly surprised to see 3 new inches of snow on Saturday at the Mt. Mansfield stake, but only Bolton (reporting a couple of inches) seemed to indicate any new snow in terms of ski areas.  I did hear a report that Sugarbush had received some new snow from that event, but I didn’t catch it reported on SkiVermont.com.

So, with snow at the house, I decided to head up to the hill.  Bolton had about two inches of new snow at the base area, and as it wasn’t super light, it actually covered up the old snow fairly well and made for really nice turns (especially since I was on the CMH fatties).  I’ll have pictures with my report later.  It was dumping hard in the Bolton Valley village when I left, essentially straight down with virtually no wind, and the radar is still showing moisture heading that way.  The few people who were out on the hill were really jazzed because the conditions were good and getting better.  I wouldn’t be too surprised if they picked up a little more accumulation.  On my drive in to Burlington, the snow accumulation gradually tapered off to pretty much a dusting in town, although it was till snowing lightly when I arrived, and it’s still snowing now as I look out the window at noon.

J.Spin