The troll rolls on. Ya' hooked one, Marc - me.

Your quoted text from Al Gore:
During my service in the United States Congress, I took the
initiative in creating the Internet.

You are correct that the words invent and create have different meanings.

However, "invent" is a synonym for "create", according to Roget's:

create. (n.d.). Roget's New Millenniumô Thesaurus, First Edition (v
1.3.1). Retrieved December 21, 2006, from Thesaurus.com website:
http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/create

Bowing to your technical clarification, my earlier statement about
this list's 1953 (sic) inception as pre-dating Al Gore's invention of