Matthew Kulas [[log in to unmask]] writes:

>I got a shovel with a D-shaped handle and have regretted it ever
>since.  Get a T-shaped handle, they work well with packs' ice ax
>loops, D-handles don't.

T-handles are great if your purpose is to hang a shovel on the outside
of your pack, but if your purpose is to actually DIG, D-handle is the
way to go. (Especially true when it's cold enough that you need mitts
instead of gloves.)

After studying the ergonomic, reliability, and practical aspects of avi
shovels the U.S. Army went with aluminum blade non-telescope-shafted
D-handles. YMMD. (Me, I have both telescoping and single-shaft
variations, but all of my shovels are aluminum blade D-handles, and I
don’t regret it a bit.)

dana
_____________ ________ __