Day 8
A beautifully sunny day, but no new snow.  I knew that powder was expected
over the next few days, so I set myself one goal: “Don’t blow your wad.”

Walking up to the tram base, I was surprised to find the complete absence
of anything resembling a line.  I walked right onto the just-arrived tram
with about 30 other shocked skiers and off we went, with me staring at the
Hellgate Cliffs and wondering if I’d rather be climbing.

As we floated past the Cirque, I could see a strong wind was blowing from
the West, so my first-run decision was made.  I immediately headed for
Upper Cirque. Wind-transferred, settled powder welcomed me back to Utah
like an old girlfriend.

At the bottom of the cirque I reminded myself of my goal and chose to ski
Chip’s Face rather than  the more  difficult runs to skier’s left.  The
Face had been groomed to perfection and had not yet been skied.  I am not a
snob.  I love well groomed cruisers as much as I love curvaceous women; as
long as it’s natural, of course.

At the Tram, I found that there was still no line, so I went up for sloppy
seconds, only this time I skied Great Scott instead of Cirque.  And guess
what I found when I reached the tram.  Yep, no line.  It seemed like it
would be just me playing with myself all day on the mountain.

One of my reasons for choosing to ski Snowbird on this trip was that I was
curious about the new Peruvian Lift and the Tunnel connecting Peruvian and
Mineral Basin.  But I couldn’t see myself bothering with the Peruvian when
there was no line at the tram.

This time around, I was determined to take it easy and gentle.  I was going
to ski groomed all the way down.  Down a windblown and crusty Regulator
Johnson to Lunch Run, over to Harper’s Ferry East, which still had wall-to-
wall corduroy.  However, it wasn’t as easy as one might surmise from the
list of trails.  You see, before I even turned onto Johnson, my mind had
decided to do it nonstop.  2900 vertical feet later I found myself stepping
onto the same tram car that I had just beat down the mountain.

Ok, I decided that if I was going to have any chance of holding back, I
shouldn’t ski down to the tram again.  I popped over into Mineral Basin
somewhere in the vicinity of High Stakes.  MB opened up during my last year
in Utah, and the only time I had ever skied it was for one run, during a
whiteout.  So I couldn’t be happy with just a run down a wide open bowl.

Half way down, I found myself heading to the left, attracted by a series of
chutes and cliffs just left of the very large Hamilton Cliffs.  The chutes
mesmerized me as if I were sitting at a pirts bulc, three sheets to an ill
wind, watching a hale dancer do her thing.  I was at their mercy.  Having
spent too much time in the sun, the chutes’ heavy snow and barely skiable
conditions used me up good, and I think they stole my wallet too.

Embarrassed by my weakness and my vices, I went over into Little Cloud bowl
and skied the sastrugi of  Shireen.  On the way down I sang the lyrics of
the song with the same name:
“Today I heard the song that was playing
When I first met you.
I woke up next to someone
Who wasn’t you.”

Since Shireen was a bit used up, I next headed out a bit further on the
Road to Happy Valley, and found that Last Choice had the same blown snow
that I had found earlier in the day.  All alone still, I went for several
repeated performances there.

But I saved my favorite lift for last.  Over on Gad 2, I skied all the
groomers, and then got a piece of Tiger Tail, and finished up by paying a
visit to the Organgrinder.

Somewhere in the vicinity of 20,000 verts, I was spent, with nothing more
to give.  I had not met my goal.  The only way it could have been better
was if Amy had been there as well.