Is there anyone who can explain the PILOT program to me?  We have several parcels of land that are owned by the state; the largest is the Groton State Forest.  When we received the latest valuation for all of the parcels, they seemed to be valued below fair market value, so we appealed.  After the fact, I learned that the largest parcel is paid at use value, so what was the point of appealing?  I have been told that we are not compensated through the current use program the way that we are for other land use properties - is that true?  And if it is, why bother assessing a fair market value?  It appears that it was a waste of the tax department's time and a waste of our attorney's fees.  Does anyone know if we are compensated some other way?

Bobbi Brimblecombe
Marshfield Town Clerk
122 School Street, Room 1
Marshfield, VT 05658