State law, 24 VSA 933, says that the voters set the Select Board's compensation or, if the voters do not, the Board of Auditors does.

I had a discussion with Deb Markowitz several years ago about what happens if a town has voted to abolish the Board of Auditors, and you may want to check with her if your town has done so.