Mary Jane:

Many years ago we voted to raise the exemption to $20,000.  I understand 
that now on $10,000 of that the town will have to raise the loss school tax 
through the local agreement rate.  The question is do we have to re-vote the 
raise from $10,000 to $20,000 or does that vote still stand?

Gary in Richford

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Grace, Mary Jane" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: Veterans Exemption

> Patti,
> Qualifying veterans' or survivors receive a $10,000 property tax 
> exemption.  32 V.S.A. 3802(11). With the passage of Act 207, that amount 
> can now be increased by a local vote to a maximum of $40,000.  The 
> previous limit was $20,000.  As with other local agreements, the loss in 
> school tax revenue that results from such a vote will need to be realized 
> through the local agreement rate.  32 V.S.A. 5404a(d).
> To be eligible for the exemption, the veteran or the survivor must be 
> receiving one of the benefits described below. The person seeking the 
> exemption should provide a document from the Department of Veterans' 
> Affairs (formerly Veterans' Administration) annually by May 1. Application 
> for an exemption under this section based upon permanent disability is 
> required only the first year for which the exemption is sought, and the 
> exemption remains on the grand list until title to the property is 
> transferred.
> Disability compensation for at least 50 percent disability. Disability 
> compensation is monetary benefits and health care provided to veterans who 
> are disabled by injury or disease incurred or aggravated during active 
> military service. The veteran must have separated or been discharged under 
> conditions that were other than dishonorable.
> Pension for disability paid through any military department or the VA. 
> This is a benefit paid to wartime veterans with limited income, and who 
> are permanently and totally disabled or age 65 or older. They must have a 
> certain number of days of active military service, one day of which was 
> during a recognized period of war. The discharge from service must be 
> other than dishonorable.
> Dependency And Indemnity Compensation (DIC).  DIC payments are made to 
> surviving spouses, unmarried children under 18 and 23 if attending a 
> VA-approved school, and low-income parents of certain service members or 
> veterans.   The service member or veteran must have died from: (1) a 
> disease or injury incurred or aggravated while on active duty; or (2) an 
> injury incurred or aggravated in line of duty while on inactive duty 
> training; (3) a disability compensable by VA. Death cannot be the result 
> of willful misconduct.
> Parents of service members or veterans receiving DIC are not eligible for 
> the Vermont veteran's exemption.
> Death Pension.  Surviving spouses and unmarried children of deceased 
> veterans with wartime service may be eligible for a nonservice-connected 
> pension based on need. Children must be under 18, or under 23 if attending 
> a VA-approved school. Pension is not payable to those with estates large 
> enough to provide maintenance.
> Contact me if you have questions.
> Mary Jane Grace
> Property Valuation and Review Division
> Department of Taxes
> Ph. 802-828-5863
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network 
> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Patti Lewis
> Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 1:40 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Veterans Exemption
> Can anyone tell me who qualifies for this exemption and how one becomes a 
> qualified?
> Patti Lewis
> Town of Fayston