> I'm a new treasurer, and it has been my understanding that the Town Report
> is a report of the Auditors.  We eliminated the office of auditor last
> year,
> and have had an independent firm audit the books from 2005.  IF we are on
> calendar year, and the 2006 audit hasn't been preformed, how accurate can
> town report be?  Who is responsible for putting the report together if the
> books haven't been audited?
>
> I'm just 2 years into this job, but I've figured this part out. Yes,
Town Report is a Selectboard duty in the absence of town auditors, but
myself and my helpful assistants do the work. We are able to bill our
time spent on the report to a separate budget line called Town Report
Prep which takes the sting out of all the overtime it requires. We are
on a calendar year, so it is a tight schedule. I schedule the
proffessional audit for the 2nd week in January (it was done last
Friday) and they get our audit report to us intime to go to press by mid
February. In the meantime, the budget is being finalized by the Board,
so it all comes together these next few weeks. A great tradition here is
that the draft gets sent around to 5 different town folks (including the
Selectboard) for proofing. This takes a few days, but it's well worth
it. It means I don't have to stress so much on being perfect the first
time through.    Good Luck! Sally Hoyler, Ripton Clerk/Treas